Thursday, March 18, 2010

Keeping Busy

I’ve been really impressed recently how many shows and activities Vernal has available and so frequently. Last month there was an African Dance company but unfortunately I couldn’t make that one.


The month before was a concert with Jon Schmidt a composer and pianist. Excellent!! I had so much fun and enjoyed listening to him play, tell stories, really entertain the crowd and spending time with my niece and sister-in –law. One of my favourite tunes has been put on YouTube. Take the time to check it out by putting Jon Schmidt love story meets viva la vida into Google. It’s an 8 minute song that he wrote combining Love Story by Taylor Swift and Viva la Vida by Cold Play.


This month has been a spiritual one. Earlier on our church stake had a relief society meeting which was based on the theme open your heart. The Presidency chose 14 sisters throughout the stake to read the book ‘A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life’ by Virginia H. Pearce and challenged them for three months to follow the book and open their hearts. Our meeting involved singing and testimonies from the sisters that took part. It was a very touching meeting that I enjoyed. I was blessed to be able to sit on the stand as our ward performed a musical number and was able to see the faces of the sisters in the stake as they cried and smiled and felt the spirit there. (Check out song on Sally Deford music http://www.defordmusic.com/writethynameuponmyheart.htm).

Also this month, in fact it this Saturday just gone, I attended Vernal’s yearly Women’s Conference. Our guest speaker was Hilary Weeks. I’m already quite familiar with her and her music so really enjoyed myself hearing her stories and listening to old and new songs. Again the spirit was there and the sisters in the room (over a thousand) all sang and laughed together. It was nice to see how funny she was on and off the stage (chatted to her in the bathrooms).
I’m grateful to be able to attend so many fun and interesting events that allow me to witness and enjoy others talents and spend time with family. I’m excited for the ones still to come.

No comments: